Spicy Amla Pickle
10 amlas (indian gooseberries)
1/4 cup Parokar Kachi Ghani mustard oil
3 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
1 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
3 tsp split fenugreek seeds (methi na kuria)
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
2 tsp salt
1) Combine the amlas in enough water in a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring it occasionally.
2) Drain the water and cool completely.
3) Cut the amlas into wedges and discard the seeds.
4) Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till it is smoky, switch off the flame and allow it cool slightly.
5) Combine the nigella seeds and fennel seeds in a mortar and pestle, and crush it till coarse.
6) Combine the coarse mixture, fenugreek seeds, chilli powder, turmeric powder, asafetida, mustard oil and salt and mix well.
7) Add the amla wedges to the mustard oil mixture, mix well and keep aside for 2 hours.
8) Serve immediately or store it in an air-tight container and keep it refrigerated and use as required.